Wednesday, September 21, 2005

OOW2K5: Running out of steam

Boy these are long days. I seem to be getting more jetlagged not less.

Anyway, did you get to see Larry? At 1:00pm the queue literally stretched round the block. (I am not obsessed with queues, honest.) Anyway I decided not to join the end of the queue and get sunstroke so I headed up to floor 3 in Moscone West to get backache instead. I do think it was the right decision: there was no durm und strang before Larry came on stage and to be frank remarkably little once he did appear. Of course it didn't help that poor TV reception made him sound like Ken Godwin out of the Wheeltappers And Shunters' Social Club. He seemed mortal rather than a colossus bestriding the database world. Flourishing his glasses was a nice touch.

There were no fresh announcements. Pretty much everything Ellison said had already been announced, mainly by Charles Philips on Monday. There was only one joke, a dig at Microsoft. The most interesting thing is how long the Q&A section went on for, overrunning by so much that the sessions after the scheduled break were delayed. Larry obviously relaxed once he'd got all the messages out of the way and could just be spontaneous. Unfortunately I missed most of the questions as my back was giving me gyp. But apparently the ridicule in the media about the multi-core licencing model has struck home, and a new licencing approach is on its way. That is, yet another licencing model is on its way. Is YALM a word? It ought to be.

That's it for me for 2005. This particular thirsty bear is off to Steven Feuerstein's party. Cheers.

No comments: