Friday, November 11, 2005

Oracle Express Edition: Good things come to those who wait

I decided to give XE one last try on Windows before turning to VM Ware. So I uninstalled XE using the MSI program. This did a stand-up job of tidying up everthing which was a relief as it's not an experience I've always had with de-installing Oracle before.

Then I set about tweaking my configuration. About the only problem on the known issues list that I didn't have was an account name with spaces. Here's what I did do:

(1) Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment
  • Remove ActiveState Perl from the PATH variable
  • Point TEMP and TMP variables at C:\temp instead of the default
  • Remove the ORACLE_HOME variable (not sure I have this, I think it might break an Ant script)

(2) Stop the Oracle 9i services
(3) Control Panel > Region and Language, change preference to English (US)
(4) Reboot

Then I re-ran the installer and it worked! I now have a nice 10gXE on my work machine. Just in time for the weekend, my wife will be pleased. And my 9i installation isn' t broken either so I'm a happy bunny once more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Aaarrrghh! It's not called Oracle Express, Oracle Express is a distinct product that's been around for about 10 years, is still supported and is their standalone OLAP Server. What you're referring to is the Express Edition of Oracle Database 10g, they're not the same thing ....

;-)

11 November 2005 07:08:00 GMT-8  
Blogger APC said...

Because I like you Mark I will change the title. But I still thing Oracle should have come up with a name that wasn't liable to cause confusion.

11 November 2005 07:58:00 GMT-8  
Blogger APC said...

And now I discover that changing the title of a blog article breaks teh links to it. Which I kind of knew anyway but still went ahead.

11 November 2005 09:19:00 GMT-8  
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks Andrew :-)

12 November 2005 15:02:00 GMT-8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it's called Oracle Database 10g Express Edition - that's straight from the source:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

23 May 2006 11:43:00 GMT-7  
Blogger Jerry said...

cheap wedding gowns
discount bridal gowns
China wedding dresses
discount designer wedding dresses
China wedding online store
plus size wedding dresses
cheap informal wedding dresses
junior bridesmaid dresses
cheap bridesmaid dresses
maternity bridesmaid dresses
discount flower girl gowns
cheap prom dresses
party dresses
evening dresses
mother of the bride dresses
special occasion dresses
cheap quinceanera dresses
hot red wedding dresses

18 June 2009 08:38:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

<< Home