Friday, October 19, 2007

Oracle Open World Unconference sessions

Prompted by Laurent Schneider's posting I have also proposed a session on PL/SQL design. Some of the other proposals seem to be presentations by another name, which to my mind is not in the unconference spirit. It's supposed to be an alternative to regular presentations rather than safety-net for people who who didn't make it through the Call For Papers.

My proposal is definitely for a group discussion on PL/SQL design: approach, tools, methods, best practice. I've described myself as a facilitator rather than a presenter. I might try to make it an actual fishbowl session, if the room will permit such a layout.

The thing which puzzles me is how this Wiki stuff is going to link up with the whiteboard on the 3rd floor of Moscone West. Are our proposals actually booking sessions in the Unconference or are we just flaoting ideas? If all the slots get booked up on the wiki, will there be any scope for spontaneity at the Unconference itself?

4 comments:

Tim... said...

Regarding time slots, I think this wiki page is just an "intention to" and nothing more. If you don't get your name on the board, you ain't doing jack. :)

As for the types of sessions currently proposed, I think you're probably correct. I certainly was thinking more of a presentation than anything else. I guess I need to have a rethink. :)

Looking on the net there seems to be a number of ways this unconference thing goes. Some stick with the true spirit of audience participation, while others are just a soapbox for people to speak. I guess either is valid.

I've never been to one so I really don't know what to expect.

Cheers

Tim...

Unknown said...

Tim's assessment is correct (we'll make this more clear) - you must sign up on the physical whiteboard (first come/first served) regardless of your intention expressed on the wiki.

Out-of-the-box presentation formats encouraged (but not mandatory).

Marius said...

As Tim said, the wiki is more an "intention to" present. We are going to reword the wiki page to point that out. Ultimately you want you session on the grid. Keeping the grid in sync with the Wiki will be challenging. Presentation style is a different topic. Of course we encourage different methods of presenting, but we need to remember not everybody is familiar with the unconference model. My hope is that people who attend this year and observer your "fishbowl session", will be inspired to do something creative next year. Marius Ciortea

Niall said...

To be fair to at least some of those with proposed sessions I think they didn't expect to be at Open World until recently - certainly I'd be unlikely to submit, for that sort of reason.

If I was to be there, I'd certainly favour your sort of suggestion than a straight presentation - maybe hanging a discussion around a (deliberately) provocative presentation might work.

If they allow enough (disarmed) nuclear briefcases through they'll build well on the good start that Justin, the appslab guys and others are making.