Monday, June 26, 2006

First sighting of 11g!

A colleague was showing me a Metalink note (#4463574.8) he was reading whilst trying to diagnose PLS-0123. The thing that grabbed me was that this bug was not reproducible in 11. This was my first sighting of a mention of version 11 of the Oracle database, albeit still qualified as future version.

To answer the burning question, yes it still has the G for Grid suffix. Although I suppose that may be subject to change under marketing pressures.

Has anybody seen an announcement of features for database 11g? I know there's been some stuff about Forms but not much else. Presumably there will be lots of under-the-hood tweaking for Fusion but what else?

8 comments:

Tim... said...

I heard a release date mentioned of November 2006 for the database and about 1 year later for the application server. If this is true it looks like the fusion middleware stuff has slowed down the middle tier release dates.

Cheers

Tim..

Niall said...

The G could certainly change, 11i was the release number in a number of documents on metalink (and I think the manuals) and internal script comments.

word verification kmmemft which must surely be an Oracle function..

Anonymous said...

I do recall hearing either Dr. DBA or Tom Kyte saying something like:
" .. but that will probably not be included until version 11 or 12."

This was at OpenWorld in 2003, when the Grid Landed. Alas I can't remember who said what he said, but it sounded kinda coold :)

Laurent Schneider said...

i have read on the documentation forum that the 11g db docu should be released may 2007...
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=1146140

APC said...

>> The G could certainly change, 11i was the release number in a number of documents on metalink

I remember Jonathan Lewis at the 2004 UKOUG conference saying it would be !, because he'd had an email from (I think) Tom Kyte saying that a ceratin featuure wouldn't be available "until Oracle 11!". But I think that would be too difficult to pronounce....

Anonymous said...

I attended ODTUG 2006 last week and I heard that the feature freeze was two weeks ago. This means that Oracle internally finalized the set of features that will be included in the version 11 product.

I'm just not sure if they were talking about AppServer 11, Database 11 or both.

Peter K said...

There are a lot of Metalink bug reports which make references to 11g (Future version).

I will be attending OOW2006 so hopefully there will be some announcement but I think that Tim was right that the Fusion Middleware stuff has probably slowed release dates given that 10gR2 got released late last year.

Anonymous said...

How about 11f?

And (noway) there's too much fusion, I can't get no relief.