Thursday, November 15, 2007

OOW2K7: Billy Joel - A clarification

An anonymous commenter, as they are entitled to, has objected to my opinions on Billy Joel. I don't think there's any point in debating musical taste. We can't blame somebody for the music they enjoy because it works too low down in the limbic system. They are not a bad person just because they like Billy Joel; I am not a bad person just because I don't.

The thing is, Billy Joel, along with Abba, dominated the airwaves in my formative years. Like the Swedes he is a consummate crafter of earworms. Simply thinking about Billy Joel means I'm going to have the line "Working too hard will give me a heart attack (ack, ack, ack)" running around my brain for ages. I'm just hoping that reciting "running around my brain" will derail Joel in favour of Dillinger. All together now: "A knife a fork a bottle and a cork/That's the way we spell New York".

Right on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing is, Billy Joel, is crap. He plays middle-aged, middle of the road, mediocre music for middle aged people at dinner parties or large corporate events.

You must just ignore the oh so brave, anonymous commenter. To be honest, I probably would have moderated the comment for the heinous sin of contaminating my blog. Much worse than spam.

As I remarked here, 'You like your music. I like my music. We may share some common interests but it really doesn’t matter.'

More recently, I have started droning on about Nirvana, Joy Division, The Killers, Interpol, REM and the music I am listening to (complete breach of rule 3). I am half-expecting some smart arse to pipe up with his verdict on my musical tastes imminently.

Anonymous said...

Interpol?

Bed-wetters ...

Sorry, APC, you can have your blog back now ;-)